Installation disaster

maximilian

Re: Installation disaster

Beitrag von maximilian » So 3. Nov 2019, 19:40

Hello gd7s9sjddh,

as before, I completely agree with you and confirm your statements.

The script is a bit unusual in some places.

Please excuse me for forgetting to give you a hint about possible mysql errors.

As for the updates, I can reassure you a bit. Up to now the updates on my PC ran error free via the GUI. The warnings regarding firewall and so on, however, come back. But a changed root password doesn't cause any problems.

A little tip to you, you can also freely choose the IP address of the server and not stick to the somewhat nonsensical suggestions of the manual. If you want to run the server in server mode, you have to change a configuration file. If you have not chosen a xxx.xxx.xxx.2yy ipv4 address. If you want I can tell you the name of the file.

From a security point of view, the changes made by the installation script are really not recommended. I think most clubs don't care much. But the system was too insecure for me. Accordingly, I have severely limited the network traffic and use very restrictive firewall settings.

It is also interesting that the installation script makes further system changes that are completely unnecessary for the operation of the software. For example, the default theme of the login manager is overwritten.

Should you have any further questions or encounter any other problems, I will be happy to help you as much as I can.

Many greetings,
Maximilian

gd7s9sjddh
Verein/Verband: SVI

Beitrag von gd7s9sjddh » So 3. Nov 2019, 21:13

Wow Maximilian, many thanks for the insight and the great tips.

I think I lost enough time. It is time for Meyton to lose their time fixing their mess.
I have a properly working MySQL but the magic script fail to connect and don't provide any hint at all.

I ended up finding the /etc/meyton folder but I see that the magic of their automation fails in many places.

Would you mind telling my which version of MySQL is running on your working system?

maximilian

Beitrag von maximilian » So 3. Nov 2019, 21:38

Hello gd7s9sjddh,

I just checked. On one of my systems does not run mysql. Instead it runs mariadb in version 10.2.22-lp150.2.9.1

It is no longer the most current version. I should update this.

Try to install the Meyton software without mariadb or mysql version installed. The shootmaster software installs a version as far as I know. But I can't tell you exactly which version.

At my first installation I am half desperate and have tested different variants and versions on installed packages. unfortunately I can't remember exactly which combination brought the success. Try it without mysql and mariadb version installed.

Please keep me informed if you've made any progress.

Many greetings,
Maximilian

gd7s9sjddh
Verein/Verband: SVI

Beitrag von gd7s9sjddh » Mo 4. Nov 2019, 16:18

Currently, I have an half working version.
I did manage to get ShootMaster to partly work but some function such as upgrading the DB fails at some point with a message such as "it did not work" without any further detail.

I initially wanted to use MariaDB but gave up due to issues that are probably NOT Meyton's fault.
When you install MariaDB, an ALIAS mysql.service is created so you can use MariaDB just as you would with MySQL.
This fails however at some point because the alias is not followed. There is an issue on Github about that.

The easiest solution IMO would be for Meyton to adapt the scripts to specifically support MariaDB and no longer MySQL.
That would be much easier for the users to install and update and for Meyton, this is a single string to replace.

MySQL 8 works HOWEVER:
- many of the commands Meyton scripted no longer works in MySQL8 or you at least need extra commands. For instance, you no longer can create an account and grant right just with one grant command.Now the script would have to do a create first.
- it comes with a new auth protocol that Meyton does not support (sha2 I think), making SM unwilling to connect

There is a way to set back account to an old password and as soon as you do that, SM shows that the connection was established.
I can paste the command here once everything works but I don't want to confuse people until my solution is fully working.

maximilian

Beitrag von maximilian » Di 5. Nov 2019, 17:02

Hello gd7s9sjddh,

thank you very much for your detailed feedback.

I hope Meyton will take up the topic MariaDB and incorporate it into the installation script.

Many greetings,
Maximilian

Antworten